The other night I made some wonderful baked chicken. I had purchased some beautiful asparagus from the farmers market, and since Sam doesn’t love asparagus, I had to make sure to put it on the side of some really amazing meat. Inspired by this post from the kitchn (one of my favorite cooking blogs) and a love of coconut milk, I went for it. I actually based my recipe off of this one since I didn’t want to use a whole chicken.
Chicken Baked in Coconut Milk
- 1/2 a can of light coconut milk (I like Trader Joe’s)
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste, or minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 chicken thighs (with skin/bones)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, sliced into ribbons
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Whisk together all ingredients (except chicken) until well combined.
- Arrange chicken skin side up in cast iron skillet or dutch oven.
- Pour sauce over chicken, making sure to coat all of it. Sprinkle a bit of extra brown sugar on top of each thigh.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and pour excess sauce/juices into a small saucepan. Return chicken to oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- On the stovetop, heat sauce to a simmer. Add flour and whisk to remove any lumps.
- Remove chicken from the oven and top with fresh basil. Serve with extra sauce.
I served mine with the asparagus and a barley pilaf. Everything was great with the sauce. Enjoy!