Sometimes, you just need to make a quick, easy meal.
Like when you’ve spent the whole day doing vigorous exercises
Or The Bachelorette is on in 30 minutes
But you’ve eaten almost 100% carbs for your last three meals so you need something healthy-ish
Enter: Fish en Papilotte
This is a simple, versatile dish (more like a meal idea than a recipe) that you can change up depending on what you have on hand. I’ll give you the simplest version, then some variations on the theme.
- Two fish fillets (thawed if frozen) – I really like something called Swai that I pick up in my grocery store’s freezer section, but you could use salmon, cod, tilapia, halibut, etc
- 1/2 lb of green beans
- 1/2 cup of whatever herbs you have on hand- I raided my herb garden for parsley, tarragon, basil, and dill
- 1/2 a small red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 lemon, peel cut off and sliced into thin rounds
- 1 parchment packet (or two if you have bigger servings) I use these:
- Preheat Oven to 450
- Wash and trim green-beans, then spread out on the bottom of a Parchment Packet
- Rinse fish fillets, dust each side with salt and pepper, and lay them side by side on top of the green beans in the packet
- Sprinkle fish with chopped herbs. Place onion slices, a garlic clove, and 2-3 lemon slices on each fillet.
- Roll up end of parchment packet and crimp a little so it stays rolled. place packet onto cookie sheet
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (until fish is no longer translucent).
Serve with grains or potatoes.
Here are some other ways you could dress up your fish:
- Asian- cilantro, ginger, soy sauce, green onions over kale
- Greek- sun dried tomatoes, kalmata olives, red onion and feta over spinach
- Piccata- parsley, capers, garlic, white wine over asparagus
- Latin- corn, tomatoes, jalapeno, cayenne, lime, cilantro over sliced bell peppers